Sunday, June 12, 2011

Continued Reflections

Today's post is inspired by a fellow blogger's latest post - Sweet Talk with Brooklyn's Sweetheart. So much talk about change and what different milestones in our lives inspire or measure change always inspire me or make me think. It could be graduation, a new job, a marriage, the birth of a baby, or even turning a certain age. Imagine that!

In my profession the "year" starts in July not in January. So for me, as July approaches, I start to think about what this year has meant for me and what I want to accomplish professionally for the upcoming year. It has meant, guess what, CHANGE. Specifically, I have encountered a great deal of professional change this year. I have always thought of myself as a flexible person who has always welcomed change. I surprised myself when I found that I was starting to resent some of the changes I was expriencing, not because I didn't want to see change happen. Instead, I began to feel that the change was overly personal - more about me and who I was than the overall institutional change. While I quickly got over that, and remembered how good I am at what I do, there is still a lingering after taste.

However, what I have realized is that the kind of change I experienced this year was necessary for me. Sometimes I think I lead a somewhat charmed life where I don't have problems with people personally or experience any drama. Every once in a while I'll get a kick in the butt telling me otherwise. It's karma's way of telling me, "Rosann, you were getting too comfortable with the way things are." I needed to go through this professional experience to become a better professional and while I don't think the changes are over or my choice, this year has better equipped me, especially mentally, to deal with what else might come. It has also made me start to think long and hard about what's next for me. I'm sure that I'll share that once I figure it out.

On a less serious change, the weather has drastically shifted and I am so ready for summer. I'm on vacation this week. And I made plans to hit Punta Cana in August. Oh man, I can't wait. I also always make the best of what our region has to offer and will be enjoying day trips with my son around town. You know what that means. Lots of pictures to scrap. :) Here are some of my latest therapeutic creations that were inspired by springtime.


1 comment:

  1. I truly enjoyed your post! Every so often "change" comes along and gives us the swift kick we need (just to make sure we are awake, I guess) and we realize that life is not something we can take for granted, nor are the things around us. Our strength is tested and then we realize God doesn't give us more than we can bare. I am extremely happy that you embrace the changes of life, and just as the seasons will continually bring new flowers, life changes will continue to teach us how amazing we are.
    Enjoy your vacation! :-)
    BTW, love the new scrap work!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.