Monday, September 9, 2013

Week in the Life 2013 - September 9

I have decided to work on Ali Edward's Week in the Life project this year. And boy has day 1 really be a real slice of life. Today is the first day of 1st grade for my son. New school. New kids. New method of transportation....a public school bus! My anxiety about it was through the roof. Ethan acted like it was a limo. But, I was ready and cheerfully said goodbye and of course took photos. And the kids at the bus stop wanted to be in the pictures too. So that was great. Bus was 20 minutes late and the driver seemed frazzled but all forgivable offenses on the first day of school.



The day seemed to be going according to plan. The administrator responded to my email telling me she saw him in the corridor and was fine. Called him Elliott instead of Ethan, but that's fine. Then comes after school. My sitter calls me at 3:40 to tell me the bus was nowhere to be found. Again, no problem. First day and the bus wasn't due until 3:58. 4:15 passes. 4:30 passes. No bus. I call the school. Busy signal. It finally rings. Voice mail. I left a message and quickly got a response.

"There was a mix up. Ethan and the other children on his bus were accidentally put on the wrong bus." Not a mix up. It's a Fuck UP! Luckily someone realized and the kids were quickly returned to the school awaiting another bus to pick them up. NO. I'll send someone. His sitter got in the car and picked him up. 5:30pm. Finally got home but missed Karate.

Needless to say, it was an emotional day. All I could think about was what could have happened. All that could have gone horribly wrong but luckily did not. Let the letter writing campaign begin...PTA President, Headmaster, Master Teacher, and DOT.

It's on! 




1 comment:

  1. He looks so grown up! I would have freaked out over that school bus mix up. I hope that they gave you an assurance that it would never happen again!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.