Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sigh, He's Five

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
---- John Lennon

Five years ago today, my life changed. Ethan Erik Elliott was born and I became a mother. I was scared, excited, in love, worried, everything. He was so tiny, 4lbs and 11oz. Anyone who has seen him lately, knows he has made up for his birth size a long time ago. He is the typical boy: wild, rambunctious, loud, charismatic, sweet, loving, moody, and that's just this year. I look forward to and sometimes dread what's to come, but so far so good.





My favorite thing about him is his way with words and the things he says. - Zombies come from cemeteries. "You" is a letter, not a word. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. - It's hysterical and sadly, fleeting. So I try to enjoy it while I can and record it when I have the opportunity.

My biggest challenge with him is that he is spoiled. He gets almost everything he wants, as much as we try to temper that. He still has moments of tantrums at the most inopportune and sometimes dangerous times (like on the subway platform).






He's strong and strong-willed, traits that are simultaneously wonderful and frustrating. He has his father's features and mannerisms and his freakish strength. But he has my extroverted personality and silly humor.

Very recently a friend of mine lost her 6 month old daughter. I had not met the baby, but it didn't matter. It's never easy to here of such a tragedy. I almost feel selfish talking about my baby this way. But the reality is that I need to be thankful for him and who he is and for the good fortune that his tomorrows continue to come.




Happy 5th birthday to Ethan. May your  tomorrows continue to come and may you continue to be happy when you grow up.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment.