Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Share Your Story


The deeper I get into scrapbooking the more my style and process has evolved into a style of Memory Keeping, as Ali Edwards calls it or Simple Storytelling as Memory Works calls it or basic journaling as the overall industry refers to it. Whatever you call it, it's great. It's important. It shapes our lives.


I recently purchased a family membership of the American Museum of Natural History and El Museo del Barrio, both located on 5th Avenue's Museum Mile here in NYC. As you know, when you join anything, you also join their email newsletters. Well I just got my monthly email from the Natural History Museum asking me, coincidentally enough, to share my story. I couldn't believe it. The museum has a new campaign asking folks to literally share their first memory of visiting the museum. As a New Yorker, I am lucky enough to have access to museums whenever I want. I have visited countless museums, countless times but my most vivid memory is a childhood trip with my mom and 2 other classmates from elementary school some time in the early 80s. I was, and still am, all about the pre-columbian exhibits.

A few weeks ago, my husband and I took our 2 year old to the museum. He is all about the dinosaurs and reptiles. So we also visited the lizards and snakes special exhibit. I can't wait to see what exciting things capture his imagination over the years. Scrapbooking will allow me to capture the memories and share the stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment.